ornament swap


Christmas is the one holiday that almost literally makes me drool with eager anticipation. When I was a child--a child who could count my age on one hand--I had a white nightgown I wore each Christmas Eve. It was long and cozy, and it draped to my feet. Trimmed with a warm plaid, it reminded me of Scotch Tape's seasonal packaging. My twenty-year-old memories of Christmas are part of the reason why I love this holiday so much. It's the simple things--the red, patterned fabric of a scarf; the smell of fresh evergreen; the glittering packaging in which gifts are kept secret. Christmas is the time of the year when you laugh with loved ones and take delight in spending time with them, whether it is around a tree or a table. It's when you marvel at twinkling lights nestled within branches, smile deviously as you hand your mom or dad or brother or sister or boyfriend or wife or best friend a gift with the words, "Merry Christmas--I love you, and, yes, I had to get this for you."

The holiday season has always encouraged generosity and happiness, and it's the time of the year when people feel the most connected--to family, to friends, to unfamiliar faces waiting in line behind us. We seek the "perfect" gift. The wrapping of "perfect" gifts. Soothing carols and comfy sweaters,. Comforting traditions. Smiles on the faces of loved ones and strangers alike. Our natural eagerness to bond with others encouraged me to start a new tradition--an ornament swap. 

The swap gives everyone the opportunity to connect with another blogger. It also allows for creativity; if you are feeling overwhelmed with seasonal stress, you can weave something from yarn, glitter and glue. Make and create a small gift, a hanging memory, for a new friend.



Interested in joining?

Please email me at d.marie755 (at) gmail.com with the subject line ORNAMENT SWAP

In the email, include your postal address and your shipping preferences (In other words, are you able to ship things overseas?)

Also include a link to your blog, Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook page or website if you have one. Your site is an easy way for your partner to get to know you. Don't have a site? Don't worry! Email and other online platforms still give you and your partner the perfect opportunity to learn more about each other.

The last day to sign up for the swap is Nov. 11. (I plan to have everyone partnered by Nov. 14. The ornaments should be mailed by Nov. 24. It gives your partner plenty of time to enjoy your gift!)

Ornaments can be purchased or created, vintage or handmade! They can be whatever you would like them to be ... but they shouldn't cost more than an Alexander Hamilton ($10). It's the holiday season, so it's understandable that things are going to get hectic! However, please think about what sort of ornament would stun your partner when he or she unwraps and unravels the packaging.

Include a note with your ornament. Tell your partner a little more about yourself. About the ornament. About your favorite Christmas traditions. A short, sweet or funny Christmas poem. Song lyrics. A quote. A laundry list of why you love Christmas. A laundry list of all the nicknames you have for your cat.

Lastly, have fun! Enjoy getting to know another blogger during what is considered to be "the most wonderful time of the year." And be sure to snap a photo (or two or five) of your new ornament. Come mid-December, I'd love to showcase the entire exchange here.


I'll hope you'll join! (If you wish to spread Christmas joy, feel free to use the button on the sidebar.)

The opportunity to decorate the tree with a melee of ornamental memories is something my family looks forward to each year. Though we have our other traditions--the opening of stockings after church on Christmas Eve and the watching of  Christmas classics--we always have a tree. On some years, it twinkles with lights and tinsel and ribbon. On others, it is twisted with peppermint swirls and candy canes. Sometimes it is bedecked with homemade ornaments--ones crocheted by my grandmother or whittled by my late grandfather. There have been glitter and gold, purple and silver, angel and Santa-themed trees. But no matter the theme, the decorations have always made me smile.

24 comments:

  1. I can't wait to participate! I'll put the button on my blog and write a post about this soon so other people come over and join! It's going to be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn! Sounds like fun. I'll email you my new address. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sent you an email. :) I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sent my email and I added the button w/ a link to sign up to GivingNSharing. =D I'll try to advertise a little on FB too.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love christmas ornaments, i love just sitting and looking at all the ornaments as i pull tem out of the boxes before i put them on the tre. Each has significance and meaning and I love remembering that

    ReplyDelete
  6. These ornaments are so pretty! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn, this is such a sweet idea! Reading your lovely Christmas memories made me smile.. you truly have a way with words! You've made me suddenly nostalgic to pull out my favorite Christmas-y red wool scarf that's incredibly itchy but was given to me with love :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you had a great idea Dawn!!!!! I want to participate! I hope it is not a problem that I live in another continent... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait :) I've already e-mailed you and I'm so excited to get partnered up with someone!

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like so much fun!! I am going to email you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled across your blog via ShabbylovesChic and I found THIS! What a great idea. I'm in! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog through WonderForest and thought I'd stop by and say HI. I love your blog so far and am your newest follower. Stop by mine and say hi sometime!
    XO,
    Tia
    SewCalMama

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found your blog via Mary at Inside My Hideaway. Would love to participate! I'll email you.

    www.eyelah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome! Thanks so much for putting this together. Found this at WonderForest and also posted a blurb on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do this with my Minnesota friends, and I'd love to widen my ornament circle. Will send you an email STAT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so excited for this! An ornament swap is such a good idea. I love to share my personality and see how other people live their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dawn,
    This sounds like a great way to build community and in a fun way at that!
    I will see what I can come up with and hopefully contribute!
    Thank you for inviting me to join! :]

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for including me in a face-to-face ornament swap even though I was too late to sign up officially! I'm sorry for failing to include a note with my ornament, especially since the sentiments inside the handmade card you gave me were so sweet.

    Looking forward to next year's ornament swap! And, of course, to seeing more of you around Indy. Welcome to the Circle City, new friend.

    ReplyDelete

« »

Candidly Clyde All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger